Friday, February 1, 2008

Hey Mom, Look What I Did!






Ok, I have to brag for a minute. Last night my family went to couple’s house for dinner and to watch the premiere of “Lost” on real cable (although I must say our recent antenna upgrade makes ABC look almost completely clear – only a few lines to deal with now!). The boys brought along some games and a couple of new toys to occupy their little eyes, but they’ve definitely seen the title screen for “Lost” a million times at home when we’ve watched the DVDs (don’t worry, we’re not accustomed to letting them actually watch the show – but the oldest one has seen enough to recognize it). When we came home the five year old ran to his room and got some paper and a crayon, and to our utter shock and amazement he wrote “LOST” all by himself! I couldn’t believe it, so I took a picture to capture the moment and share it with you.

And I guess if I’m bragging in him it’s only fair that I brag on little brother too, right? Well, he did have at least one grand moment tonight that I can share. My husband was out for the evening, so I had a friend over to eat dinner and hang out for a while. Thankfully she’s the kind of friend who showed up in her pjs, so she didn’t seem to mind the state of my house or the haphazard way I chose to parent this evening (I think both boys ate more chocolate ice cream than mac and cheese for dinner, but it’s all good, right? Just preparing them for dorm life in the future…).

At some point we heard the by this point all-too familiar sound of brother number one telling on brother number two. “Moooommmmm……” It was getting old, so I didn’t even really listen to his complaint much to be honest. The next thing I knew, little brother raced up the stairs, through the living room and down the hall to the bathroom. He wasn’t wearing any pants and he was carrying, wait – was that a chocolate egg? Ummmm, maybe not so much. I reached the bathroom just in time to see him throw the evidence into the toilet. At least he knew where to put it….

I was absolutely mortified. And though she was very gracious about the whole scene (I think the actual comment was “well, you know he has a very active brain!”), I think my sweet childless friend may have gone home and overdosed on birth control. I don’t even have to tell you that he spent the rest of the evening in a crotch-snap onsie and overalls (“timeout pants we call them – it slows him down and gives us a fighting chance to catch him in the act of getting naked. Can you tell we’ve done this before?). I’m not sure this is exactly something I’d say I’m proud of, but it was certainly an outstanding moment in our day. For your sake, though, I didn’t take any pictures of this particular accomplishment.

Oh, the crazy joy of raising boys. You gotta love being a mom…otherwise you will have lost your sanity for nothing.






No comments: