Sunday, December 9, 2007

The Sunday School Answer

Today in Sunday school I asked the high school youth I help teach what was the worst Christmas present they have ever gotten. We went around the room and one by one they told of underwear and socks, toilet brush sets, homemade sweaters and other well-intentioned gifts that had bummed them out in years past. Then we came to one of the jokesters in the room. I couldn’t wait to hear his answer – I just knew it would be hilarious! Then he spoke.

In all seriousness he nervously said, “Well, this wasn’t a present, really, but my dad left on Christmas morning and never came back. So…that was pretty much the worst thing I ever got for Christmas.” For a little while none of us were really sure what to say.

I appreciated his honesty, and my heart broke for him. Can you imagine your father walking out on you at Christmas? I can’t even fathom the hurt and the confusion that must have left him with as a little boy. Surely he must think about that in some way every Christmas season.
Later this evening I was watching him at youth. I was thinking about his comment and how sad it made all of us feel, and this sweet picture came to my mind. His earthly father had walked out on him the very same day we set aside to celebrate his Heavenly Father coming into his life! Right in the midst of the pain and hurt of being abandoned by one of this world, he was and is surrounded by images and reminders of the Father who will never forsake him. Each Christmas surely must come with the bad memories of that one worst day, but each one is also bathed in songs of worship and stories of His love and birth that have to remind our brother that his true Father is right here with him.

As we sang praise music and worshipped at youth tonight, my thoughts went out to this sweet brother in Christ. Take heart, little brother, your Father loves you. I wanted so much to make sure he knew that. But you know what? He’s not alone. Regardless of our past, we all need to understand how much our Father loves us.

I hope we all get a chance this Christmas season to take the time to thank Jesus for entering our lives – as broken and faulty as they were – when everyone else would have walked away. Let us praise Him for His unfailing love. Let us remember His faithfulness and be filled with joy at His presence. For our Father has come to us – Emmanuel, “God is with us”. We never have to fear that He’ll walk out on us, because 2000 years ago He went to impossible lengths to be with us forever.

Thank you, Jesus. You are the best gift any of us have ever gotten.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey again!
I've tried emailing you twice, but both times it gets bounced back to me... not sure why. I know I have the correct address because I just replied to the email you sent me. But I'm not ignoring you!