Monday, December 17, 2007

A Random Heart Break Story

So my five year old told me tonight that I broke his heart – a little piece of it anyway. It wasn’t in the manner in which I broke it three weeks ago when I made him cry – mind you. Tonight I apparently scared his heart into pieces.

What happened was this: While he was taking a bath, I needed to go into the bathroom to get some tissue for my incessantly running nose (it’s just not Christmas if someone in our house isn’t sick). He didn’t hear me come in and I said something in answer to my husband who was out in the living room. At the sound of my voice, my sweet little boy was so startled he nearly drown himself in the tidal wave that was made when he jumped from lying on his belly in the water to sitting upright and clutching his chest.

“Mom!” he yelled. “You scared me!” Then he put two fingers on each temple and closed his eyes. “Wait a minute,” he said as he concentrated. “Yep…my heart’s still working. It’s still scared. You almost broke it! You did break just one little piece…”

I must say, I’ve never laughed at breaking someone’s heart before, but I just couldn’t help myself this time. He was so serious! I guess I should be more careful in the future…I wouldn’t want to give the kid a heart attack. I'm off to go sneak very quietly into bed - who knows? This condition might be hereditary!


**UPDATE**

I got a very nice early wake up call this morning at 4:45. It seems the cold I have been harboring the past couple of days has made it's way into the birthday boy's world (not good, by the way). When I realized that neither he nor his now very awake younger brother were going to bless me with going back to bed, we all got up and went to the couch.

We were just settling in when he said, "Mom, I'm just shaky." I asked him why, hoping that he wasn't coming down with both my cold and his brother's stomach bug from Sunday. "I'm shaky because last night - when you scared me - a little piece of my heart broke off." Oh, brother - talk about a guilt trip!


No comments: