Friday, December 7, 2007

Feelin' Frumpy

I’m feeling frumpy this week. There, I’ve admitted it. Frumpy as in my jeans don’t fit quite rite and I’d rather be in pajama bottoms all day. Frumpy like I’m tired and moody and I can’t stop eating (brownies, pickles, chocolate, fruit cups, caramel corn rice cakes…you name it). Frumpy like I don’t want to do anything productive, and frumpy like I cried 6 times last night for no reason – three times during ER, twice during the news and once while playing Zuma online (it’s addictive, don’t start).

So now it’s time for you to put your hand on your hip, cock your head to the side, and in your best oh-you-little-devil-you voice ask me the question I get asked at least once a week (it comes with the age, I guess): “Are you pregnant…?” To which I would get to shine up my favorite cheesy 1950s housewife smile and mockingly reply “Why, no, I’m not! But I am on a medication that makes me feel like I am! Isn’t that darling?”

I’ve been on this new pill now for a few weeks, and I think eventually it’s really going to help me out with some problems I’ve been facing. I guess I just have to wade through the side effects of a faux pregnancy first. The thing is, though, that it’s particularly torturous when a small part of me really thinks it wants to be pregnant for real right now, while the rest of me knows that’s not an option anytime in the near future (at least on my agenda, anyway). So, that being said, I just feel frumpy.

Frumpiness aside, though, I think I had a pretty good week. I finally cleaned the baby blankets and too small clothes out the boys’ closet (which, given all the fake vibes from my uterus and stuff felt rather backwards, like I was putting away the muffin tins while the oven was preheating…). I also made a new meal my family went nuts over, did all the laundry in one day (never mind a load is still sitting in the dryer), and used $17.25 worth of coupons in one $20 trip to Target. Perhaps frumpy weeks aren’t a total waste.

Right now I’m off to hopefully finish Christmas shopping with my three favorite men. We haven’t even left yet and I’m already looking forward to coming home, taking off these awkward jeans and baking some homemade cookies. Hmm, could it be that frumpiness is actually really great, and I just haven’t learned to appreciate it yet? Let me answer that one later when I’m in my pjs.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

frumpiness can be a good thing.
sometimes all you need is a relaxing day sittin around & vegging out in your pjs.
especially if you have some oreo pudding! :)
i really miss you & the guys & would love nothing more then to have a lazy day & getting lost in hours of crazy conversation like we used to.