Thursday, December 20, 2007

Being Fitted

Five seems to be a number that has been popping up in my life lately. My oldest is turning five in a matter of days. He was allowed to invite five friends of his choice to his birthday party. I’ve lost five pounds this week (thank you, stomach virus). Though my body has felt pregnant much of the past month, it has possessed a need to remind me without question that I’m not – guess how many times! That’s right, five! I suppose I should be glad that the theme isn’t eight or twelve, right?

I just realized that as I sit here and type these words that won’t get off my brain this morning that it’s five days until Christmas. There’s that number again. Does anybody know if there’s a lottery somewhere that only requires you to play one digit to win? Hmm. It might be interesting to see what else comes in fives this week.

There’s a verse that’s been resonating in my heart since I read it over a week ago, and I woke up with it on my mind again today. It’s not a “five” verse (though close – it’s John 11:4), so I don’t have a great transition to move from the random trivia of the day to what the Lord’s been sharing with me. I guess I’ll just dive in and hope that it makes sense somehow!

The verse that has been ministering to my heart says this: “This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.” That was Jesus’ response to hearing that his buddy Lazarus was on his deathbed.

I admit that it was a little confusing at first. How could he say it wouldn’t end in death? Lazarus dies, right? But then I realized something. Jesus never said in that verse that Lazarus’ illness wouldn’t involve death, or that he wouldn’t experience death. He simply said that it wouldn’t end there.

I think God is preparing my heart with this verse. I believe it is bouncing around in there for a reason – so I won’t forget it later in the course of my own sickness. I don’t know any other way of saying this, but I feel like I’m being prepared for a battle. It may be a physical illness with the female issues I’ve been dealing with, or it may be something a little less tangible. I don’t know what it may look like, but I just feel like it’s coming – like He’s fitting me with armor to withstand the fight.

Whatever is coming my way, this verse has already offered me such encouragement and safety. He has shown me that the little deaths we face in this life – no matter how big they seem – can end in life and His glory. Lazarus’ sickness ultimately ended in his resurrection from the dead. Surely our sickenesses – whatever they may be – when given to Him can be just as life-giving to us or someone else.

Who knows what waits in the woods surrounding the path ahead. My heart takes strength in knowing that even if the fight seems outnumbered five to one, the One fighting for me is bigger than all my enemies combined. Whatever the sickness headed my way, it will not end in death. The Lord my God is faithful and mighty to save, and He will not leave me exposed a second longer than He needs to.

I just hope that whatever the battle is, I only have to face it once, and not…well, you know. I gotta run – I’m supposed to wake the boys up in, well, five minutes…



No comments: