Sunday, July 27, 2008

Noah? Are You In My Basement?

So I haven’t posted in a few days, but it’s because life hasn’t been very predictable around the Roberts’ household. Preschool went great on Thursday, and Big Brother and I got to spend some time together - the first time it’s been just the two of us for a whole day since he was two. That part was great! It was the next day that things started to get complicated.

Saturday morning Shane went downstairs to get some milk for breakfast and found himself wading through a small pond in what we had always assumed was a garage (and not an indoor water source). It took him a while to find the culprit - our water heater had apparently decided it was high time the contents of our storage area were baptized, and was well on it’s way to accomplishing this in the true Southern Baptist spirit of full submersion.

I give him props, though. He didn’t panic or even curse. He simply came back upstairs and informed me that we had a problem.

And he even remembered the milk.

So, anyway, long story short (and $800 later), we are still recovering. I think the basement carpet is finally dry and the carpet people will be back tomorrow to pick up the fan. Then we can start restretching it and moving the furniture back in. After that we get to tackle the white mildew lines on the concrete in the garage. Fun, fun!

But something struck me in the midst of placing disaster calls Friday morning - I suddenly realized that I was neither panicking or that upset about it all. The water heater itself was covered under our home warranty (even though the pressure valve and about 3 other things weren’t), and we had the money to pay for everything already sitting in the bank (that’s a big deal and pretty unusual for us). Nothing major was damaged, and it happened on Shane’s day off so he didn’t have to take time from work. We were really ok! It definitely could have been a lot worse.

I know the peace that I felt had to have come from the Lord. Even though I had no idea that I was going to wake up to something like that Friday morning, I somehow felt prepared. There was no doubt in my mind at any point this weekend that He was right there in the midst of our little disaster taking care of things and bringing us comfort.

So in the end, this thing that should have been a major source of stress turned out to be not so bad. And the big bonus of it all was that Shane took the boys out for about 5 hours on Saturday for the carpets to be cleaned, so I got my writing time after all!

I’m thankful today for the Lord’s provision and His peace.

(And for brand-new water heaters that don’t leak!)




Here’s a little snapshot of the first day of preschool. Do you think he was excited?









3 comments:

megs @ whadusay said...

I love that picture of Little Man - too cute!

We had an experience last week with our car where we had to pay a lot more for repairs than we thought, but earlier that day (before my husband called and broke the news) I realized I had made a budgeting error and we had an extra paycheck coming that was not included in our budget - so we were able to easily cover the repairs!

I know it was a God - thing! So, I am thanking God for his provision right along with you.

On Purpose said...

Hello Samantha...I thought of you guys on Thursday and preschool.

Thank you for sharing this "wet weekend story"...it reminded me, if in all things we remain in the true source of peace we will experience peace.

I will be praying that cleanup goes smoothly too!

Sonya Lee Thompson said...

Preschool, already! Schools seem to be starting earlier and earlier. So much to teach, so little time.

I'm glad you had a peace in the midst of the flood. God is so good that way. I love the fact that while we are SHOCKED by these floods, God knew it was coming and he had already provided for it. Love being a christian, don't you!