Thursday, January 10, 2008

Is It My Happy Birthday Yet?

As we walked past the card section in Target (I wasn’t kidding when I told them I practically live there), my two year old very happily pointed at some cards and declared, “That’s my happy birthday!” I tried my best to join in his excitement as I stretched my head down the ends of isles to find the paper plates. “Yes, you have a birthday, but your happy birthday isn’t for another 6 months.” I should have left it alone. “I wanna open my presents!” he said. Oh boy. That one took some creative distraction to disarm.

That experience yesterday actually helped me see God’s point of view in my own life this morning, though. I was laying in bed wide-awake way too early when the temptation to try and name my unborn (and not-yet-conceived – nice try ladies who still ask me every-other week if I’m pregnant) children. I don’t think this is a very healthy game for me, because the struggle in my heart to yield to the Lord’s will in this category is all too real. Part of me wants just one more kid, but His answer seems to be (at least for now) a resounding “No”.

So I moved on from naming my children to thinking about the teleseminar I took last night about writing book proposals. It was very informative – I got to hear from 8 pretty major editors, publishers and agents about what makes or breaks a proposal in their opinion. I really enjoyed it, but I do have to say it was a little disheartening at points. How are you supposed to get a platform (expertise, or a reason for people to think you’re an authority on your subject) if you don’t have one?

Then, of course, my mind drifted to thinking about what books I could possibly write. I started listing all the “perfect” titles I’ve hoarded in the back of my mind, and couldn’t think of a single one a publisher would print if it was written by me (instead of someone with a “platform”). Then it occurred to me: Wasn’t I, as a writer, naming my unborn (and some yet-to-be-conceived) children? I had to stop.

My mind turned to a verse I have posted next to my computer screen where I can see it every day when I sit down to write: “For the revelation awaits an appointed time; It speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; It will certainly come and will not delay” (Habakkuk 2:3). I looked it up (yes, by the way, I had to cheat to find Habakkuk in the Bible), and found something interesting about the phrase “appointed time”.

The Hebrew behind that phrase is the word “moed”. It means “Congregation, festive gathering, appointment. Often it designates a predetermined time or place…” The word study then goes on to say that moed became closely associated with seasonal Jewish festivals and the tabernacle where God would meet the Israelites at specific times to reveal His will to them.

Immediately I thought about my conversation with the little guy yesterday. Just like he has to wait for his birthday and no amount of wishing or manipulating can make that day come any faster, God has an appointed time already on the calendar to reveal to me what He wants me to write. I admit – it would be nice to know when that date is, but that’s really not that important. What is important is that I wait for that appointed time, and that I then listen to Him and “Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it” (Habakkuk 2:2).

We aren’t all waiting for a revelation that we can write about, but I’d wager a guess that almost all of us are waiting for something from the Lord. As frustrating as it can be – like a two year old not understanding that he has to wait for his happy birthday – it’s also comforting to know that He’s already got it all planned out. He won’t be a minute late in delivering to us what we’re waiting for. And in the mean time, He’ll be preparing us to receive that revelation. Our God is good, faithful and wise. I’m thankful for that this morning.

Happy waiting!



1 comment:

The Maguire's said...

I love reading your blog. It is funny and inspiring and makes me feel closer to you again...and makes me want to grow closer to God...and reminds me that it is ok to not always enjoy being a mom though I do cherish it. It is challenging! (Perhaps this will become your book someday). I miss you and am glad that even though we aren't able to talk often, that I can now have a little piece of your wisdom and friendship in my life a little more often.