Monday, November 24, 2008

A Little Buried Treasure

I was looking through Proverbs 31 the other day in preparation for a talk I was giving on a retreat. I hate to admit it, but sometimes when I read that Psalm I think I’m just a glutton for punishment, because I always find myself deeply entrenched in the sin of comparison. And comparing yourself with Super Woman is hardly ever a feat that lands you anywhere near on top. So it was with great caution that I stepped into the description of the epitome of all women, and in that spirit I found a little treasure – a new mark of character to strive for that I don’t think is too far out of my reach for once.

It was in the middle of verse 28 that I found this tiny gem, sandwiched between the parts of Wonder Woman’s resume that tell of her never eating the bread of idleness and pretty much surpassing every other female in existence in her perfection (ok, are you catching a hint of bitterness and jealousy? I’m telling you, this may be the one Psalm that actually causes me to sin…). There, in those tiny words “Her children arise and call her blessed” I found my sparkling glimmer of hope.

Now wait a minute – don’t think for a second that I’m about to say that my kids will ever hang from a lamppost in the middle of town square and shout my praises to the masses. I’m not delusional, friends. No, no. This is definitely one of those times when the original language tweaked something deeper than our own English translation was able to convey to my heart (and you thought I was starting to lose it…well, fear not – “it” is all here in it’s glory).

Just for kicks I looked up that Hebrew word used there for “call (her) blessed”, and do you know what I found? It actually means “to call someone ‘blessed’”. Shocking, I know. But then the definition goes on to say that it also is used in other instances to call someone “happy”. Hmmm. Let the conviction games begin!

I immediately started to wonder if my children would “rise up and called me happy” to anyone, ever. And I have to admit that I think one of them would most of the time. He’s the one that doesn’t get in trouble a lot, so to him, life is pretty happy. But the other one? Yeah, I don’t think Little Man would exactly use “happy” as his chosen adjective for Dear Old Mom.

Just the other day we were watching a movie together when a character on screen started yelling in frustration over something. In his cute little stutter, Little Man turned to me and asked, “Why wh- why that man yellin’?” I told him it was because he was just upset over something, and without hesitating he asked, “Wike you?”

Ouch.

But you know, I actually think that’s something I can work on. In fact, I think the Lord’s been dealing with my heart on this subject a lot lately. He’s been gently teaching me about appreciating people and things, resting in Him, enjoying His presence and – yes – not losing it so much with my three year old. I’d say He’s definitely leading me in a direction that could result in a lot more happiness in my home.

For quite some time the greatest desire of my heart has been to experience unhindered joy in the Lord, of which happiness is a mere byproduct. Now, I know that doesn’t mean that every day would look like the filming of a Brady Bunch song (you know – from those later episodes when they thought it was a good idea to be in a singing group together…until You Know Who’s voice changed and ruined everything…), but I don’t think that’s what real “happiness” is all about anyway. I think it has a lot more to do with the state of your mind and the place of your heart.

I also know that our enemy just read these words I’ve written and would love nothing else than to knock this “silly” little notion out of my head forever. But I pray that the Lord would protect me from his schemes and let me take joy in the fact that my Dad really is bigger and stronger than that bully, and that He’s already beat his tail all over the playground and back.

Yes, I think happiness – in the right, Christ-led sense of the word – is attainable, even for me (despite what my youngest might think). It's in there somewhere, buried beneath the yelling and gnashing of teeth that is seen most often around bed times and in Target or Wal-Mart. With a little help from the Lord I'll be able to dig it up and present it as a treasure to my sons. And I’m looking forward to laughing when my sons stand up in the presence of witnesses and declare: “My mom may not be the Proverbs 31 woman, but she’s happy!”

Oh, what a fun day that will be!



3 comments:

On Purpose said...

I loved this post Sam! After reading this I feel assured that God has set personal goals for each one us that are attainable inside a graced and loved filled relationship with Him. Thank you so much for this today!

Jami said...

Oh Sam - I needed to read this today. Today I was not a happy mom...I was crabby A LOT!! My poor kids. Thanks for the post, my friend!

Carrie said...

Hey Sam- I just stumbled onto your blog. This is an awesome post. Great reminders- I am not sure my 2 1/2 year old would call me happy either. Thanks for the fresh look at that annoying super woman who seems to put us all to shame! :)

It's interesting how similar our lives are- two boys, a pastor husband, and I am seriously wanting to write more and speak more. Unbelievable! So neat.
Here's my blog: http://carrieslittlethings.blogspot.com

Thanks Sam!