Thursday, August 28, 2008

Can You Pass Me a Bigger Plate?

I just want to apologize to those of you who have been checking on my blog the past couple of weeks to find that I haven’t been writing much lately. It’s not that I’m giving up on bloging or anything, it’s just that I haven’t been able to get used to this whole new life we’re living lately!

I have to admit that the stuff of life is overwhelming me right now. We’ve started so many new things and have had to begin so many new routines that I don’t even have a clue what my days (much less my weeks) should even look like. And every time I think I’m starting to forge a plan, something else starts up and throws it all out of whack.

I thought that once Big Brother started Kindergarten and Little Man was in preschool that everything would very nicely fall into place. Monday, Wednesday and Friday I could be all domestic-y and get house things and shopping done, while Tuesdays and Thursdays would be writing days. Sounded good, didn’t it? But alas, it isn’t working.

For one thing, Little Man has recently developed an allergy to errands – it makes him breakout in a rash of evil and apparently causes him to lose his hearing. There doesn’t seem to be a thing I can say or do to make him behave in the store. Scratch grocery shopping from Monday and add it to Tuesday when he’s busy being a total angel for his teachers (I’m glad he’s good for them, but come on! Why is it that they are always these alien other children when you’re not around so that you think either you’re crazy or you’re the one that makes them so difficult?).

Add to that volunteering at the school, working for the church and trying to physically take care of my exhausting, aching body, and Tuesday fills up real quick without a word having been typed. I’m sure it will get better, but right now it feels like my plate is so full I won’t make it back to my seat without spilling it on the floor, and I wasn’t even aware that my life had saddled up to the buffet!

But in the midst of feeling completely consumed this morning, a verse jumped out at me. Mark 7:37 says, “People were overwhelmed with amazement. ‘He [Jesus] has done everything well,’ they said, ‘ He even makes the deaf hear and the mute speak.’”

I realized this morning that it’s been a while since I allowed myself some time to just be overwhelmed with amazement at Jesus, but I think that’s what I need the most right now. Not a new day-planner, not a life coach who could come in and make some sense of this chaos, not even Jo-Jo from Super Nanny to teach me how to shop on Mondays (although that would be nice…). What I need in all this craziness is to stop, take a deep breath of the Spirit of God, open my eyes and be amazed at Jesus.

Oh just to sit in His presence and be filled with Him! If I truly gave myself to it, I think I could do it all day without a thought about that other stuff! Mmmm…

Oops…there goes Thursday… ;-)





3 comments:

On Purpose said...

Feeling the chaos with you...hey lets get a couch sit it out on the front lawn soak our feet in some smelly good suds, drink strawberry lemonade and chat all day...you up for it?

megs @ whadusay said...

Dear friend - I hear you. And I LOVE that verse!

southerninspiration said...

When you find a solution (even if it's in the form of a BIGGER plate, you could market it and make millions! Just visiting...I honestly cannot remember how I found your blog, but I bookmarked it and now we're friends! ;) Anyway, I understand your sentiments and agree wholeheartedly. Your kids will grow up, but other pressures will invade those spaces.....ah, just to sit and do nothing! What's that like?
Suzanne