Friday, June 6, 2008

This Rabbit's Ears Just Got Better

Sorry I’ve been conspicuously absent from the ‘net lately – I don’t even know which excuse to use this time. Am I a slacker? Is the summer schedule throwing me for a loop? Or is it answer c: Answers A and B are equally true. When in doubt, pick ‘em all.

So I just got out of the tub where I thought it would be a good idea to shave before the Forestry Service came and performed a controlled burn to keep the growth from spreading to other areas (like, say, the neighbor’s yard). But I ran out of shave gel after the first leg. Couldn’t yell at the husband at this fine hour of the night (who is, by the way, too engrossed in the NBA finals to even pretend to hear me), so what did I do? That’s right – I used his shave gel. Great. Now half of me smells like a man. But what are you going to do?

I mentioned that my husband is watching the NBA finals, and some of you who know us all too well are thinking, On TV? In his own home? What, did they finally get cable? And the answer would, of course, be no. But we did get a nifty gift from the government.

It seems that in 2009 they are going to start broadcasting television signals in digital format only (whoever “they” are and whatever that means…). So I went on line and found a government site that said if your TV doesn’t pick up digital signals on it’s own, they will pay $40 (in the form of a gift card) towards you getting a converter box for your antenna. I signed up for two.

The cards came in the mail (they looked like credit cards and came with all these restrictions about stores and product numbers and stuff like that), and they promptly sat on my counter for more than a month. Then over Memorial Day weekend, we decided we should cash them in. After all, the season finale of Lost was coming up and it would be oh so nice to see Jack’s face without the squiggles and snow, and missing the horizontal line that travels up the screen every few seconds.

So we got what we needed, brought it home and hooked it up. Let me tell you something – the government finally got something right. We went from two snowy channels (you had to watch football and track the game by where the teams went on the field – you couldn’t actually see the ball…), to 10 or 12 crystal clear channels that make it look like we pay somebody every month to send us a signal. It’s awesome! Sure we now pretty much have the antenna in the kitchen (we get the best reception in there), but we can see Jack in all his glory, and football season is going to be a lot less confusing in the fall. And all for the discounted one-time price of $19.99. Amazing. Now if they can only come up with some kind of cash converter for the gas pump…

Anyway, as you can tell, I’m in a strange rambling mood tonight. But I wanted to post something to let you know I’m still alive, and to let you know that I won’t be around for a little while (I know – shocker). I’m actually going to the beach for a week with my Bible study (woo-hoo!). So pray for my boys as they “rough it” without mom, and pray that I take in all the rest I can get before the summer gets even crazier.

I’ll see you back here when I get home. (Unless, of course, I’m still a slacker after the beach. But what are the chances of that happening…?)


No comments: