Wednesday, September 9, 2009

King Me

Ok, folks. I've found it: The secret to actually getting work done around my house. And it comes from a very unlikely source.

Do any of you out there watch the show Kings on NBC? Well, I was just introduced to it, and in a way it's revolutionized my housework schedule. For those of you who aren't familiar with the show, it's a modern kingdom setting loosely based on David and Saul from the Bible. It's really fun to watch it and see where it parallels the Biblical story and where it strays. Not to mention that it's just plain good.

I've just started watching it from the beginning on the internet, but here's the thing: Season one is only available on Hulu until September 20th. That means that I only have a few days left (relatively) to finish out all 12 episodes before they're gone. You would think this would cripple my life to that of a couch potato, but amazingly it hasn't. It has, however, provided me with an odd sense of motivation.

Little Man is a bit under the weather this week, so I knew we wouldn't be heading out today. I had resigned myself to housework and Spongebob for the afternoon. But after starting Kings last night when the boys were in bed and my husband was at Bible study, I came up with a new plan. Watch Kings for a few minutes, then pause it and tackle something in the house - the kitchen, laundry, trash. The anticipation of getting back to the show was more than enough motivation to get the jobs done quickly. I dare say I did more cleaning this way today than I would have otherwise!

So a couch potato I am not. I'd like to think that, instead, I'm a much more productive vegetable. Maybe a carrot? Carrots are good for you, right? That's it - I'm a couch carrot. And my house is all the better for it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some chores to attend to so I can figure out what's going to happen between David and Jack...


1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Couch Carrot! I love it!