Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Appointed

I had the privilege of speaking to a women’s luncheon today about the freedom we have in Jesus from the sins that threaten to enslave us. Even though it wasn’t the best, most professional talk I’ve ever given (I lost my place like 3 times and totally drew a blank at the end – that’s never happened before), I know and believe that God had a word for someone there. I believe that not only because He spoke a specific word into my heart for this talk, but also because of the level of spiritual opposition I faced this past week as I prepared.

There were distractions galore, and missed writing days (for the second week in a row) that I had to try and find time to make up. Then Little Man got sick and was not only miserable, but unable to go to preschool (again, no time to prepare). Add on top of that not feeling too great myself, the doubts upon doubts that plagued me (to the point of doubting my doubts…which is really ridiculous), and the fact that the air conditioner in our house broke last night and I couldn’t sleep because it was so hot. Yeah, I’d say someone was trying to derail my train of thought, wouldn’t you?

I was feeling a little distracted and out of it right up to the time of speaking today. As always, I got to the place early so I could have a moment to gather my thoughts and pray. I love that time – it’s kind of the “point of no return”. The event’s about to start and you are absolutely as prepared as you are ever going to get. It’s just time to stop and give it all over to the Lord.
So I was sitting there praying, and I had a bit of an epiphany as I heard myself praying these words: Lord, I know that You have appointed this time and this place to speak. You have appointed these people and You have appointed the message I am about to deliver to them. You have a plan, and I know that You will not disappoint those You have prepared for this day…

It seems like such a silly thing to think of, but I guess I was just so worried about messing up and being disappointed (or others being disappointed in me), that I guess I just needed to hear out loud that whatever God Ordains and sets into motion, He won’t take back. Whatever He appoints He won’t then dis-appoint. I know that seems like stretching when I actually write it out, but it was pretty profound to me at the time.

Now that the talk is over and it didn’t exactly go the way I had envisioned it, I’m realizing that even if I feel “disappointed”, God carried through with exactly what He had planned. Whoever He appointed to be there and hear His word heard it, and the things He wanted to begin in her life were set in motion. Because God is good, and He can accomplish miracles through even our greatest debacles.

So I guess I’m writing this to say that if God has called you to do something – big or small – carry through with it, even if you think it’s going to be a disaster. Be faithful and obedient to His call in your life because if He has ordained it, He has a plan that He will carry through in spite of anything you might do. Just remember – it’s not about you, it’s all about Him.

I’m amazed tonight at how wonderful He is, and so thankful that He is the great I AM.

-Samantha

4 comments:

megs @ whadusay said...

Thank you for this post Sam.

Thankful God's plan was carried out, even though it didn't go exactly the way you hoped it would.

Praising God.

On Purpose said...

I am thankful that God uses all we have to offer no matter how small, insecure, fragile and chaotic (aka my life)it is and makes something so amazing out of it.

Sam I know He talked to womens hearts on Wednesday through you. And no you don't need me to stand and applaud you...cause you only need Him. But I do applaud you and say thank you for being obedient even in the midst of your chaos!

Jami said...

Sam - thanks for the great reminder.

I'm glad it's done for you and you can move on too! :)

Love you!!

emily freeman said...

What he appoints, he will not disappoint. I LOVE IT! That will preach, girl. Prayed for you and glad to hear an update.