Monday, November 19, 2007

What's in a name?

You might be curious about the name “the Listener’s post”. It’s not that creative sounding, I admit, but it’s fitting. My name, Samantha, comes from the Hebrew word “sama” which means “to listen”. Many times its use in the Old Testament implies more than just a physical hearing, but actual practice of listening to the voice of God in your inner spirit and then acting on what He is calling you to do.

I have known for a long time that in most baby books my name is listed as “The Listener” or “The Learner”. But it wasn’t until this summer that I made the biblical connection with the word “sama”. In June I attended the Proverbs 31 She Speaks conference for Christian writers, speakers, and women in ministry leadership. The Lord spoke to my heart so strongly at that conference regarding His desires for my life that I knew my heart was changing forever. No longer was I to walk through this life shackled by the generational sins that kept me in fear. It was time for me to really become His Listener – His child who tunes into His voice in her heart and said “yes” to all He asks of me. His word to me that weekend was to keep my eyes off myself and focused on Him, and everything would fall into place.

I returned from that conference challenged and well, cleansed from my paralyzing fear and pride and encouraged to abandon myself to Him. I was re-baptized a few weeks later as a reminder to myself that His change in my heart is permanent. I am His Samantha – His Listener. Though I’m still learning how to quiet myself and hear His words, I have already seen a glimpse of the great things that come with being obedient to His voice.

This blog is a step on the path of new adventures He has planned for me if only I continue to say “yes” to all He asks. Thanks for being here and allowing me to be myself through the lines of my posts. I hope you enjoy what you read and I pray that He might use these thoughts to encourage your heart somehow. Have fun reading (and commenting!)!

No comments: